1) The Fourth of July commemorates what important historic occasion?
A. The end of the Revolutionary War
B. The signing of the Declaration of Independence
C. Adoption of the Declaration of Independence by Congress
D. The signing of the Constitution
2) In which city was the Declaration of Independence signed?
B. New York
3) Which of the following did not sign the Declaration of Independence?
A. Thomas Jefferson
B. John Adams
C. William Whipple
D. George Washington
4) Which of the following was included in the Declaration as a complaint against King George and the British Parliament?
A. Allowed only British tea to be sold in America
B. Imposed taxes without consent
C. Appointed liberal non-originalist judges
D. Gave charters to Church of England only, not other religious bodies
5) Which memorable phrase is not included in the Declaration of Independence?
A. Give me liberty or give me death
B. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness
C. The laws of nature and of nature’s God
D. Supreme Judge of the world
6) The original Declaration of Independence is housed in:
A. Independence Hall in Philadelphia
B. Library of Congress
C. Smithsonian Institution
D. National Archives
7) How many delegates from the 13 colonies signed the Declaration of Independence?
8) Which two presidents died on the Fourth of July?
A. George Washington and John Adams
B. John Adams and Thomas Jefferson
C. Thomas Jefferson and James Madison
D. Herbert Hoover and Franklin Roosevelt
9) Which president was born on the Fourth of July?
A. Calvin Coolidge
B. Howard Taft
C. Dwight Eisenhower
D. Richard Nixon
10) According the Declaration of Independence, the people have the following right:
A. The right to bear arms
B. The right to equal protection of the laws
C. The right to alter or abolish their government
D. The right to a free education
David Davenport is former president of Pepperdine University and a visiting fellow at the Ashbrook Center.