Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Elizabethan Manners and Speech

Elizabethan Phrases                                      Current Expression
Good dawning to you                                          Hello
Hail to you.
What ho, peace here and good company.
Ho, by your leave.
Rest you fair.
God bless you.


How now, what’s the news with you?                    Hey, How ya doing’?
 


I pray you.                                                             Please
Prithe.                                                                             
 


Cry you mercy.                                                Excuse me
By your leave.
 


I would have some speech with you.                  Listen
Lend an ear to my purpose.
 


What’s you will?                                               Whaddya want?
 


I do look to know.                                            I wanna know
 


I prithee, do me this kind service.                      Please, do me a favor

Your service                                                       I am at your service
I am your free dependent.
I am directed by you.
 


Call him hither, I say.                                        Tell him to come here.
Bid him come before me.
 


Command him to me.                                        Give him my reguards
 



If it like you                                                    If you want
 


These jests are out of season                              That’s not funny
 


Upon my life.                                                      I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment