Monday, August 31, 2026

Funny Gravestones - Including Famous People!

 That’s All Folks!

Perhaps you don’t recognize his name, but you surely would recognize his voice. Or should we say, “his voices”? American actor Mel Blanc (1908-1989) was the voice of Looney Tunes’ cartoon characters Bugs Bunny, Woody Woodpecker, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Tweety Pie, Sylvester, as well as Hanna-Barbera’s Barney Rubble on The Flintstones and Mr. Spacely on The Jetsons.
Blanc’s nickname was “The Man of a Thousand Voices”, and he is considered one of the most influential people in the voice acting industry.

When Blanc passed away in 1989, his family ensured he would be remembered for his voice by using his Looney Tunes’ famous sign-off as his epitaph: “The-the-the-that’s all folks.”

Blanc is buried at Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Los Angeles, California.







The Last Laugh

Look who got the last laugh! Merv Griffin (1925 – 2007) was a talk show host. He also created several game shows, including Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. After so many years of announcing “I will be right back after this message”, Griffin joked that he wanted his gravestone to say the exact opposite: “I will NOT be right back after this message,” and that is exactly what he got.

Griffin is buried at Pierce Brothers Westwood Village Memorial Park and Mortuary in Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, 



There Goes the Neighborhood
Rodney Dangerfield (1921–2004) was an American comedian, actor, screenwriter, and producer. He was best known for his part in the film Caddyshack, in which he plays an obnoxious nouveau riche property developer.




Holding Hands
In 19th-century Dutch society, it was taboo for those of differing faiths to be buried together. So a wall was built in Netherland’s Roermond Graveyard to divide those who were Protestant from those who were Catholic.

In defiance of this cultural custom, Colonel J.W.C. van Gorkum, a Protestant man who served with the Dutch Cavalry, and his noblewoman Catholic wife, Lady Josephina Carlina Petronela Hubertina van Aefferden, were buried in their assigned cemetery sections, but the hands on their gravestones reach across the barrier.

The couple had been married for forty years and will now hold hands throughout eternity.





I Told You So

George Jr. says, “I knew this would happen.”




Life is Short

Life is short. Sometimes you’ve just got to giggle a little. Hehe.




I’m Over It


At the age of 81, it seems Lola was just done. “Oh, well. Whatever.”





You Named Him What?!
You can’t be serious. Yup, it’s true. Artemis and Ann Fish had a son in 1775, during the American Revolutionary War, and they named him “Preserved.” I get it. Sort of. They probably felt that their lives had been preserved during this difficult time of war, but unfortunately, he had to live with the name of “Preserved Fish” for the next 47 years.




Golfer’s Revenge

Practice makes perfect. (Gotta love funny gravestones.)


You Go First

"You go first.” Well, Hugo Furst did actually go first, but he did offer.

Sacrifice
Many of you will understand the struggle.


A Pyramid Scheme

Sorry, kid. We only know how to build pyramids up to a point.
Why did the Egyptians build pyramids anyway? To get to the other side.


Expired
In 2005, Barbara Sue Manire’s family honored her wishes by putting a parking meter with a “64-year time limit” next to her grave. Manire had “expired” on her 64th birthday, but her sense of humor lived on.




“I Told You I Was Sick” - Funny family with some funny grave stones!

Some people just have to have the last word in every argument. Know what I mean? B. P. Roberts (1929 – 1979) is buried in Key West City Cemetery in Key West, Florida.

The story goes like this – B. P. (aka “Pearl”) Roberts was a hypochondriac who complained of illness so often that everyone stopped listening. (Or maybe she was just a hoot and a half.) Anywho, she got the last laugh by having the words,
“I told you I was sick,” inscribed on her gravestone.


Apparently, Pearl wasn’t the only one in the family with a funnybone, because if you look at the very top of their family tomb, you’ll see a gravemarker belonging to Gloria M. Russell (1926 – 2000) that says, “I’m just resting my eyes.”

This must be a new spin on “Rest in Peace.”



From THIS website

No comments:

Post a Comment